The Review of Mock CAT
Sample paper 5
1. With the vertices of a ΔABC as centres, three
circles are described each touching the other two
externally. If thesides of the
triangle are 4, 6 and 8 cm respectively, the sum
of the radii of the three circles equals:
2. A’s salary is 25% higher than B’s salary, how muchper
cent is B’s salary lower than A’s?
3. A merchant buys two articles for Rs.600. He sells one of
them at a profit of 22% and the other at a
loss of 8% and makes no profit
or loss in the end. What is the selling price of
the article that he sold at a loss?
A. Rs 536.80
B. Rs 160
C. Rs 404.80
D. R s 440
4. In case Nicholas and Antonio share dinner duty on Monday
of some week, and if Antonio and Jeremy share dinner
duty on Thursday of the same week, which of the following
would be true for that week?
A. Nicholas is on duty alone on Tuesday, and Antonio is on
breakfast duty alone on Wednesday.
B. Jeremy is on breakfast duty alone on Tuesday, and
is on breakfast duty alone on Wednesday.
C. Antonio is on dinner duty alone on Tuesday.
D. Jeremy is on dinner duty alone on Wednesday
5. In case Antonio and Jeremy share the dinner duty thrice
over a five-day period, which among the
following would be true?
A. D. Antonio and Jeremy share dinner duty on the second of
the five days.
B. B. Nicholas is on dinner duty alone on the second of the
C. C. Nicholas is on dinner duty alone on the third of the five
D. A. Nicholas is on dinner duty alone on the first of the five
6. An experiment succeeds twice as often as it fails. What
is the probability that in the next 5
trials there will be four successes?
7. A recently conducted study reveals that the prospects for
success in later schooling for 3-5 old
children were improved by a
particular educational plan. From this it follows
that the introduction of similar education plans for all
3-5 year old children will lead to an improvement in their
chances for success in later schooling. Which among the
following would weaken the above argument if true?
A. D. Many parents are of the view that formal training at an
early age takes up the time, which the children
could better spend exploring their worlds
B. A. Parents of preschool children in the United States get
attracted to fads in the educational field,
without having a clear idea of the type of
early educational plans which would benefit
C. C. The people who conducted the research included quite
a few children who had earlier been exposed to
another educational enrichment program.
D. B. The cognitive abilities of children are constantly
between ages three and five
8. A man bets on number 16 on a roulette wheel 14 times
and losses each time. On the 15th span he
does a quick calculation and
finds out that the number 12 had appeared twice
in the 14 spans and is therefore, unable to decide whether
to bet on 16 or 12 in the 15th span. Which will give
him the best chance and what are the odds of winning on
the bet that he takes? (Roulette has numbers 1 to 36)
A. 12, 72:1
C. 16, 22:14
9. A trader buys goods at a 19% discount on the label
price. If he wants to make a profit of 20%
after allowing a discount of
10%, by what % should his marked price be greater
than the original label price?
A. + 8%
B. none of these
10. The Fundamental Duties were incorporated in the
of India by the
A. Forty-second Amendment
B. Tenth Amendment
C. Thirty-second Amendment
D. First Amendment
11. If the price of petrol increases by 25% and Raj intends
to spend only an additional 15% on petrol,
by how much % will he reduce
the quantity of petrol purchased?
12. The weights in kilograms of 10 students are 52, 45,31,
35, 40, 55, 60, 38, 44, 36. If 44 is
replaced by 46 and 40 isreplaced
by 35 then new median will be:
13. The speed of a metro train is 54 km/hr excludingstoppage
time and if including stoppage the speed
is 45 km/hr then for how many minutes does it stop per
14. The circumcentre of a triangle is always the point
ofintersection of the:
B. perpendiculars dropped from the vertices onopposite sides
of the triangle.
D. perpendicular bisectors
15. For an acute angle è, sin è + cos è takes the
greatestvalue when è is
16. A candidate who gets 20% marks fails by 10 marks but
another candidate who gets 42% marks gets
12% more than the passing
marks. Find the maximum marks.
17. The oldest monarchy in the world is that of
B. U K